But no tantrums this time and no fabric either, but there will other days. My grand-daughter Harri [Harriet] lives with her husband Joel near Reading and we were going to have lunch out together and then indulge in a splurge at the fabric shop. Unfortunately Harri is under the weather today so we look forward to another time and I get to make even more lists.
So what did I do instead? I have all kinds of things I want to make but would need 30 hour days with nothing to do but sew to do them all, so contrary as ever I ignored my mental [and physical] lists and started something completely unplanned for. I came across a pattern for an A-line skirt I had previously drafted, and used, but was not 100% happy with the hang of. So I set about re-drafting a new pattern, one that with hindsight I know should hang well. Then I set about finding suitable fabric and came across this, which I though would be good for a toile – I got it ages ago in a Charity shop and it was a bargain.
It a camel coloured crepe wool and that ticket reads 104″ x 54″, nearly 3 yards if my maths serves me right. I wasn’t too keen on the camel colour and it languished in my cupboard for ages. So long in fact that this happened;-
the dreaded moth struck. Luckily there is plenty of fabric to play with and this was the only mishap. It is a lightweight crepe fabric so I decided to line it, but with a different approach. I used a creamy beige light silky lining and thought I would sew the two fabrics together as one, but with the right sides together and then turned. I tried it out on a scrap first as I didn’t want the seams to be too bulky. It has worked fine and each of the three main pieces will be treated the same and sewn together as if a single piece but with the edges all finished. I’ll let you know how it turns out.